Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

4 films I love...


I like to watch movies, mostly late at night, when everyone else is asleep, the house is quite and my orange cat nestles in next to me. There are so many I love. I think I'll start with fims grouped by favorite directors... Let's start with Robert Altman.
*"Nashville" 1975 (someone took the time to put it all up in 10 minute segments on youtube-it's a LONG movie!!)

  This movie is soooo magical. I absolutely LOVE it. About ten years ago I was so enamored of this movie that I watched it almost once a week, made many, many clothes inspired by it and had the soundtrack on vinyl (thrifted for 25 cents) which drove my then boyfriend, pretty much insane. I've recommended this movie to so many people but they usually claim they "couldn't get through it.". It was one of those movies that, on vhs, took up two tapes. Shelley Duvall and Karen Black are so wonderful and Keith Carradine is such a dreamboat. Let me know if you take the time to make it all the way through. You can join my Nashville lovers club!

*"McCabe and Mrs. Miller" 1971

   I am a sucker for anything set in the wild west. Yes sir. This gem also has a Leonard Cohen soundtrack, gamblers, outlaws, prostitutes... Starring Warren Beatty and Julie Christie. Also, Keith Carradine in a small part. sigh. Love this movie for the dreamy frontier aesthetic it creates...

*"Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean" 1982

   This mostly female cast has, Cher, Karen Black, Kathy Bates. Super Weird and Interesting...

*"3 Women" 1977

Shelley Duvall and Sissy Spacek get craaaaaazy! Like really koo koo. I need to watch this one again, it's been awhile.
  So it seems that all of Robert Altman's films are on youtube so (if you don't mind watching em in 10 minute increments) get watching! xo

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Altman! I think we need to be neighbors, Mindy. Should we both relocate? :) Then we could have movie nights.
    Three Women is so awesome.... I haven't watched it in a while. I think it might be time to revisit that one. And Nashville is the best. Short Cuts and The Player are more recent faves of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to watch the player and short cuts, I haven't seen them since they came out... yes, I'll move to florida, I need SUN!

    ReplyDelete

please leave a comment, I usually respond within the comments section. thank you for reading.