Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

ghost boyfriend...

  Let's be honest, I have a type. I reallly like an unavailable love interest. Like so unavailable, they're even not technically alive anymore. Yeah... It occurred to me last night as someone said "Wow, you really like Gram Parsons!" and then I did a little mental list of all the dreamy ghost boyfriends that came before GP... I am a goth girl at heart...

 oh young Elvis. I had a crush on him when I was a little kid. I read Priscilla Presley's book and was pretty excited about the fact that their courtship began when she was only 14, which now seems gross but at the time (when I was like 12) seemed pretty romantic.
 Jim Morrison. I came across a Doors record in a friend's Mom's record collection when I was about 13. yeoooow! So pretty, all those tumbling angelic curls! I was heavily into new wave and British music but the Doors opened my mind to "classic rock"...
 And then around age 15 (I was already into The Cure, The Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen etc) but when I discovered Joy Division and the very gloomy, Ian Curtis, my dark teenage heart was all aflutter.
 Kurt Cobain. I adored when he was alive. I remember driving through Portland Oregon, on my way to work at a thrift store, and hearing the news of his suicide on the radio... I was 18 and I cried and cried.

Right around age 21 I discovered Richey James Edwards. The doomed & depressed guitarist for the Manic Street Preachers. Anorexic, a cutter, pretty mush a total mess. Sigh...

    and of course, Gram Parsons...
Syd Barrett (super favorite dreamboat of my mid 20s) deserves mention, even though he was alive until recently, but he was such an acid casualty that he seemed a ghost already... xo m

2 comments:

  1. I do indeed see a pattern ~dark mysterious and sometimes eyeliner... Elvis is still alive so that doesn't count!! :D ~Love Heather

    ReplyDelete

please leave a comment, I usually respond within the comments section. thank you for reading.