Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

triple berry jam is triple rad (a recipe)!

  Ok, it's like 8 million degrees (probably actually 90 degrees) outside and I am way overheating from handling and holding hardware cloth in the blazing sun. whew. break time. This is my favorite jam. I love it so much I even hid a few jars and I am not giving any away to friends (they can have blueberry, we have 20 or so jars), at least not until I make more... It's really good! I used to call it "heavenly hash" cuz I thought it sounded cute and grandmother-ly but too many people commented on the drug hash and some even asked if there was hash in it (um, really?) so "triple berry" it is...
triple berry jam 
makes about 7 8oz jars

3 cups blueberries
3 cups raspberries
3 cups blackberries
6 cups of sugar
just under 1/2 cup lemon juice

 prepare all your jars (I put my clean jars in the oven and turn in on to 250 degrees and they stay in there till I'm ready for them). In a large pot (This can foam up a LOT when it's boiling so give yourself plenty of room) mash blueberries, then add raspberries and blackberries and mash a bit more. Add sugar and let it sit for about and hour so the juices can get going. Add lemon juice and bring to boil over med-high heat. Boil rapidly and stir often, I pretty much stand there stirring until the initial frothiness wears off-usually I skim some foam off too. Boil for 15-20 minutes. You can test for set by putting a bit on a chilled (freezer) saucer or plate. I like mine at 15 and even less, but I like a runnier jam.
  When done, remove from heat. Pour into hot sterile jars, leaving a 1/4" room at the top, wipe rims of jars with a damp cloth and seal according to the brand of jars you use. Process the jars in a boiling water bath for ten minutes.
  After the ten minutes is over, I set mine in a nice spot on the counter on a towel covered loosely by another towel and I don't handle them till the morning. In the morning I check the seals and wipe the rims again if need be.
  Refrigerate after opening.... easy! and so scientific!

I listened to lady I swear by all flowers playlist while making jam. Such a fun idea. Seems a little ambitious for me to try this (as I am unable to figure out how to even post my reading list in cute little pics of books that are clickable links) but someday perhaps I will master this technology and harness it to my will...
I do so love it when all the jars start stacking up in the pantry. Happy days!
  Ok, now to brave the sun and do more work on the manor for the chicks... I'm not going to post any more pics of it until it is presentable and has tenants. Very hopefully that will be sooooon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave a comment, I usually respond within the comments section. thank you for reading.