Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

winter wellness, making elderberry syrup

   I was going to write this post last night but guess what? My teeny sniffly cold turned into a full on achy, fever and chills illness. Oh boy. It's been a while since I've felt this down and out... I feel spacey and goofy in the head. Example, just five minutes ago I meant to "publish" 5 listings on etsy but accidentally hit the "delete" button. gonnnnne! Damn! So no more working today and let's get on with a wellness recipe (or two!).
 When I'm ailing I drink a little lemon, honey, ginger, cayenne hot water steamer delight all day long! It's super soothing and easy!

 While the water is boiling, squeeze a quarter of a lemon in the cup, then add a few slices of fresh ginger (I usually make a few slits in each piece of ginger), a couple shakes of cayenne pepper (wow typing is really hard when I'm sick, I keep having to go back and correct my many mistakes!!).


 Elderberry Syrup:

*1 cup fresh or 1/2 cup dried elderberries
*3 cups water
*1 cup honey

  Combine Elderberries and water in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and simmer until elderberry/water mixture is reduced by about half (this takes about 2 hours). Remove from heat, cool a bit, strain and press juice from berries. Compost the berries. Add honey to the elderberry liquid and heat gently just to combine. Carefully pour into bottles, label and refrigerate.

  I usually double the recipe and keep a bottle in the fridge and freeze the rest to be thawed as needed.

  Elderberry syrup is really wonderful taken daily (1 tablespoon every morning) as a preventative. When you are actively sick, take 1-2 teaspoons every hour until you start to improve.

I always want to make a batch with other herbs steeped into the mix but my kiddos aren't into the idea. Elderberry syrup is really sweet and delicious so children don't need much encouragement to take it.

 I'm on my second steamer and I'm feeling all lonesome, super cranky and chilly. Whenever I get sick I feel like Samantha in this episode of sex and the city. I was laying in bed having weird fever dreams/hallucinations (my being sick also coincides with the full moon and my own moon cycle craziness) last night. Creepiness. I'm gonna watch the Gilmore Girls and attempt to wash it all away.
   I need to get my head together before the little lady gets home. There are many more holiday crafts to be made and packaged up asap...
  Now I'm off to boil another kettle of water. Another cup of hot tea... xo m

1 comment:

please leave a comment, I usually respond within the comments section. thank you for reading.